A Brief History
Our Church began in 1894 when Mr. Moses White conducted a Sunday School Class in an old store building in Mount Mourne for the citizens of the community. In 1896, Simpson L Sherrill gave a strip of land and $500 for a church. Mrs. Lillie Rozzelle gave the land for the cemetery. The first service was held in the new Church on June 2, 1897. It was decided that the Church would be named Fair View and would be a Methodist Episcopal South Church. The first parsonage was built and dedicated in 1951. The Education Building was completed and dedicated in 1964. Due to the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968, our name was changed to Fair View United Methodist Church.
The current parsonage was built on one acre of land donated by Mrs. Elizabeth Knox and Mr. Herbert Knox. It was completed in 1982, and the debt was retired in September of that year. With continued growth, the Education Building was expanded in the late 1980's and 1990's. The first service in our current Sanctuary was conducted on May 26, 1996.
In 2000, Fair View was awarded the Church of Excellence Award for the 5th consecutive year. With the purchase of the Triplett and Ballard properties in the early years of the decade, we continued to look forward toward more growth and future building. The Betty Apgar Community Playground was built with funds from a Duke Endowment Grant and local contributions. The playground was dedicated in September 2008 and is used by many in our community.
The Metro District granted approval for the sale of the Triplett property, and the property is for sale. Our outdoor pavilion was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 2015. The Visioning Committee is working on the next phases of growing and building.
We are excited to invite you to be a part of the Fair View community, and our Fair View Family. Please keep Fair View in your prayers as we make history together.